Mumford presented his illustrated talk on “Siberian
The last train on the Abergavenny/Merthyr Railway was on 5th
January 1959 headed by 0-6-2 Coal tank (B.R.No.58926) and assisted by 0-8-0
Super ’D’ (B.R.No.49121).
The only preserved Coal
tank is LNWR No.1054, built in 1888 and now owned by the National Trust. 54
years later and after 8 years of restoration it had its inaugural run on 8th
February 2012 on the Keighley and Worth Valley Railway. Two days later there
was a re-enactment of the last train to
Merthyr with 1054 transformed into 58926.
Ken Mumford was standing in the snow in ”Siberian Yorkshire” for this gala
event, which he brought to us in his illustrated talk.